You decided to work at reducing waste in your tourism/events organization, welcome on board! After having completed the four key steps of our guiding methodology, it’s now time to select the top priority solutions you’d like to implement. Don’t try to implement everything at once, better pick up a few key/easy solutions to start with!
- Community organizing is about having small successes in order to take greater action with more people later on.
- It will be easier to convince hierarchy for small steps and get a proof of concept before going big.
- You will not have time to make everything perfect in the short run. Zero waste philosophy aims at getting better with time, step by step.
How to prioritize
1. Browse available solutions
Use the audit template grid and fill the solutions part with:
- The actions that are already existing in your structure and that could be either improved or extended.
- The solutions that could be provided by your current partners and suppliers.
- New solutions that you could implement, explore our waste streams solutions articles and/or have a quick overview at our recap list. Testimonials: get inspired by concrete examples of hotels, restaurants, festivals, sports events, business events, who are already doing it 😀
2. Rate available solutions
Continue using the audit template grid and rate which waste streams should be prioritized according to four main criteria to which you can give different weights:
From the results of the waste audit you conducted, make sure you will indeed be working on the most significant waste streams.
Amongst the many options available remember to give priority if possible to the ones that bring stronger ecological and social impact and respect most legislation.
Be pragmatic about the potential human and financial resources you will have to mobilize. It’s better to do less the first time but doing it for real, than being too ambitious and taking the risk to givie it all up.
3. Select a few solutions
You now have a grid with many solutions amongst which you will have to select the ones you will implement first.
Prepare for the decision
- Ask your top hierarchy opinion about the coefficient you suggested for weighing the different criteria.
- Sort the many solutions you have according to the final note.
- Make different coherent scenarii to combine several solutions that could work together and give details about potential costs and benefits.
Depending on the governance system you evolve in you can either get a validation of your hierarchy or have more participative ways.
Step by step: continuous improvement
Don’t try to implement all the solutions at the same time: do not take the risk of feeling quickly discouraged. Instead start with one (or a few) solution(s) within both the most impactful and engaging ones to implement. Once they are successfully implemented, celebrate, and start the process again from this step, picking up new solutions to go ahead with 😀
Main author of this article:
Thank you to our authors as well as our expert proofreaders who contributed to fact-checking the content. Like the entire toolbox, this article has been created thanks to the collaborative effort of: